What type of licence do I need for a motorhome?

We let you know the types of licence required to drive a motorhome

Hippy campervan
Photo by Nick Karvounis on Unsplash

There are 2 main details to what licence you need. the weight of the vehicle, or the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and when you passed your test.

Pass Your Test Before 1 January 1997?

If this is the case then you are entitles to drive a vehicle up to a MAM of 7,500 KG. This brings in the vast majority of campervans and motorhomes you will have access to.

You will also be able to tow a trailer of up to 750kg.

Pass Your Test After1 January 1997?

This will entitled you to drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg which will quite possibly be enough for most first time drivers.

Again you will be able to tow a trailer up to 750kg.

Need to upgrade your licence if you passed your test after 1997?

You will need to go back and add a category C to your licence. This is an entry level HGV licence and is usually called a Rigid Body class 2 or a LGV.

If you want to pull a trailer as well you need to upgrade your licence to a CE.

Check with the government

We reccomend that you check with the gov site.